Friday, September 10, 2021

Removing the DeLorean engine and transmission Part II

 After I removed the muffler, I needed to then disconnect the main wiring harness and the other odd and end electrical connections, some vacuum connections, the feed and return fuel lines, the coolant and heater lines, the wiring to the starter, the O2 sensor wire, the two wires coming off the transmission, the throttle cable, and take off the A/C compressor. 

 I took many, many photos for reference for when it comes time to reassemble everything. Routing and connections of the main wiring harness and rear bulkhead connections:


Wiring and connections to the starter:

I also decided to remove the rear impact absorber as it was in need of a refresh as well. Before it came out:

After:

I discovered an old frame sticker from the factory of 2100. My VIN is #2087, so not too far off.

I also found another number on the inside of the rear frame on the driver side that appears to be 1779:


More wires to disconnect:

Reference for the routing of fuel and vacuum lines:

Reference to how the A/C compressor is bolted to the mounting bracket. I just took off the A/C belt, removed the bolts holding the compressor to the bracket, and laid the compressor on the rear pontoon so that I didn't have to take off the hoses and lose all of the refrigerant.



Heater hose valve reference photo:

Throttle spool connection reference and routing:




Wires connected to the manual transmission:


O2 sensor wiring in front of the rear driver side tire:

Main and return fuel lines being disconnected:


It was then time to lift the motor and trans out of the car together. I used a load leveler to help with the angles, hooked up the chains to the four lifting eyelets on the motor, and also had a floor jack on the ground in case I needed it. It was fairly straightforward. I scraped the trans on the heat shield under the rear bulkhead as it was coming out, but it was minor.

As I started lifting out the motor, I found one ground wire that I failed to remove. That was the only thing I missed:

In the process of being lifted out:


After I got them out successfully, I was able to take more detailed and up-close photos of key things, such as the starter wiring:

First look at the frame after the motor and trans were out. The frame cradle was a mess. It was clear how long and how bad some leaks were, most likely from the rear main seal:

One thing that makes this job more manageable is SPACE. I am fortunate to have plenty of room behind the car in the garage to work on this.


I then separated the trans from the motor. It was touch to get them apart as they were married together for 40 years. After taking out all of the bolts, a combination of a pry bar and physically pulling the trans finally got them apart.

More evidence of the leaking rear main seal inside the nasty trans bell housing:

It's clear that this is the original pressure plate and clutch.


Next, I start taking more things apart and add to my parts purchase list, which is growing quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment