Thursday, September 16, 2021

Refreshing the inside of the DeLorean's rear pontoon

 While disassembling the rear of the DeLorean in preparation for pulling the engine and transmission, I looked inside the rear opening of the rear pontoon to discover dirt, junk, and bolts that had been corroded to the point of almost being unrecognizable:

I started by vacuuming out as much of the junk that I could, when I found the body mount bolt that I thought was missing from the rear passenger side of the frame. The threads were completely gone and it looked like an old piece of hardware that was dug out of the ground:


Vacuuming out a lot of the junk revealed more bolts, which meant the stuff was around a half inch thick towards the front of the pontoon. There were 3 bolts in each rear pontoon and every single one of them snapped when I attempted to loosen them, which was fine by me since I had not intention of reusing them.

I went to my local hardware store and got stainless steel nuts, bolts, and washers of the same size  to replace them with, then proceeded to thoroughly clean and wipe down inside the pontoons. I then replaced the old hardware with the new and it looks brand new inside:



Of all the things I am dealing with on the car right now, this was an easy and quick win. On to the next part of the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment