Thursday, September 2, 2021

My "Oh Fudge" moment

Being the good DeLorean owner that I like to think I am, I decided that my rotted motor mounts were next on my to-do list. "It's a simple job," I said to myself. Just loosen the nuts on each stud, lift up the motor by the oil pain, take out the bolts holding the mounts to the frame, and put the new ones in. Simple as that. 

So I started by loosening the nuts on each side of the stud and lifted up on the oil pan to separate the mount from the motor. My mounts were so old and rotten that the rubber either split apart as I raised the motor, or they were already split apart and I didn't notice. 




 I had to pry off the metal mount and tap it from above with a long bar and a mallet to get it separated from the motor. The studs appeared to be hopelessly fused to the engine block, so I decided it was best not to mess with them for fear or causing more harm than good.

I then went to loosen the bolts that hold the bottom of the mount to the frame. All went fine on the driver side. When I went to loosen the bottom nut on the passenger side, it seemed to be extra stubborn, so I gave it some more effort when the head of the bolt snapped right off.

This was my "Oh Fudge" moment for several reasons:

  • I knew that it is not ideal to just have one bolt holding the motor mount to the frame and I needed to figure out a way to get the broken bolt out
  • I knew that I didn't have a way to drill out the broken bolt in such a tight space 
  • I then realized that I would have to pull out the motor in order to properly fix this, which I had never had to do before

So I quickly began preparations, including getting an engine hoist, engine stand, and mentally prepared myself to dive into it. All of this for a dang motor mount.


No comments:

Post a Comment