Friday, April 22, 2016

Installed DeLorean poly sway bar kit

I have had a squeak coming from the drivers side front suspension for a couple of years. I thought I had narrowed it down to the rubber sway bar bushings, so I bought a poly sway bar bushing kit from DMCNW. The install seemed pretty straightforward. This is what the sway bar end looked like after taking it off the DeLorean:


I then went to install the new poly bushing and I realized that something wasn't right. the inside diameter of the new bushing sleeve was not big enough to fit over the end of the sway bar. The original rubber bushing had a much larger hole to allow it to slip over the end. See the comparison below:
I realized that the part I was trying to fit the new bushing onto was a vulcanized sleeve that needed to come off, as well as the washer. It had seized on there pretty good and it took a combination of pounding it with a hammer and prying it with a screwdriver. Here's what it looked like during the process of removal:
Once I got it off, I cleaned it up with a wire wheel to prep for paint and installation.

Here it is all installed:

The bad news is that it didn't fix my squeaking noise, but at least I now have bushings that are nice and tight compared to the old ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment