Saturday, March 12, 2022

Restored DeLorean seat belt hardware

As I work my way down the list of cosmetic fixes, I got to work on some minor things in the interior of the DeLorean. One small thing that surprised me when I got my car was how much corrosion there was on the seat belt bolts and the metal brackets on the bottom of the interior of the car. I decided to replace the old bolts with new ones, but to keep the original hardware, but refresh it by sandblasting and painting it to look new again. 

Here are the old bolts after taking them out, as well as what the old washers and other hardware looked like. The passenger side hardware (2nd picture below) was in much worse condition than the driver side (3rd picture below):



I sandblasted all of the washers and other hardware and even the metal brackets that are attached to the ends of the seat belts as they had the black paint or powdercoating material worn off in several places and had rust showing. I painted those with black POR15, trying my best to not get that on the actual seat belt itself, as well as a large washer that was originally black. I also painted the other washers and hardware in either silver or gold, depending on their original color. 

 It's such a small thing, but they look so much better and I'm very pleased with the result. It's not a bad time in DeLorean ownership when you can start worrying about small things like this.




No comments:

Post a Comment