Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Rusty DeLorean oil pan bolts

In the goodies of extra parts that the previous owner gave me when I bought the car, there was a bag full of new oil pan bolts and washers. The original oil pan bolts are looking mighty poor, so I decided that this would be a quick and easy way to clean up that part of the engine.

Before new bolts & washers:
 After the new bolts & washers. Also cleaned up the timing cover chain bolts with a wire wheel:
 I was surprised at how the condition of the oil pan bolts varied so much. Some were covered in old grease or oil and others had what appeared to be aluminum oxidation and had no grease or oil:

I wasn't able to access all of the bolts, and likely won't be able to without lifting the engine. Since I don't see those bolts on the back of the pan, I won't worry about it for now. I will see what I can do about cleaning the oil off of the pan at a future date.

No comments:

Post a Comment