Wednesday, July 24, 2013

DeLorean Door Sill Seal Replacement

One of the many eye sores on my car includes the original and deteriorating door sill seals. After 30+ years, the rubber is hard and is falling apart in many sections:



These are very easy to remove and are held on by 5 or 6 phillips screws. The original rubber is held on to the metal bracket that you must reuse. The metal bracket has a rivet on each end to hold the rubber on, as well as an adhesive that makes removing the old rubber a pain. Here is the seal after I removed one from the door that shows the rivet on the end:
  
The rubber tore to pieces during the removal. I had to grind the rivets off on the ends as you will need them gone in order to make a flat surface for the new rubber. After I completed the first one, I decided to use a wire wheel to get any remaining glue off of the metal bracket. It cleaned up very nicely, but nobody will ever see it since it is covered up by the rubber.

The new rubber does not come cut for the holes for the screws nor for the notch to go around the amber door light. I inserted the metal bracket into the new rubber and held them in place together using some clamps and vice grips. I then used a drill to make holes for the screws, and then screwed the screws into the holes to hold the rubber in place. I then used tin snips to cut a notch out for the amber door light, then reinstalled them on the door. They look much better than before and will help give the car a cleaner look than before.



5 comments:

  1. Not too shabby. What happened with the headliner?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how it looked when I bought the car. I have since replaced it.

      Delete
  2. where did you get that seal? dmc? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete