Monday, December 24, 2012

Rusty DeLorean headlight buckets

While getting the DeLorean ready to work on the lower ball joints, I noticed some rust on the headlight buckets and screws. I decided to remove one of the passenger side headlights to get a better look as to what is going on there. After I took out the headlight, this is what I found:

Photobucket 

The rust is just surface rust, so it can be cleaned up very easily. As I began trying to clean up this headlight bucket with a wire wheel, I decided that I might try using POR15 instead of just a rustoleum spray paint. I want the restoration to last for the life of the car, and sometimes rustoleum doesn't last. In order to get the other lights out easily, I may end up removing the front fascia. I haven't decided the best way to make these look nice again, but I'm in no hurry as it is now winter and I don't plan on driving the DeLorean until the salt is off the roads. 

1 comment: