Friday, June 8, 2012

2nd Car Show

Each year in my home town, on the first Friday of June, a historic street in my city is closed off for three city blocks for the annual car show. This was the first time that I had the DeLorean in road worthy condition when it came time for the show, and I was very excited to be able to go. This car show attracts thousands of local citizens and over 300 cars.

Overall, it was a very nice experience. Despite the four "look, but don't touch" signs on all four sides of the car, the DeLorean came away with way too many fingerprints during the show. When the show started, it was really hot outside, and with the sun shining hard on the passenger side, I decided to start the show with that door closed to block the sun from the interior. 

 I was sitting a good 30 feet away in the shade. I didn't see this incident happen, but my wife said some guy was looking at the car, then proceeded to open the passenger door, and then close it with the greasiest hand I have ever seen. You could have cooked fries with the grease that he left on the door. It was disgusting.

First, "look, but don't touch" includes not opening and closing my car's door.
Second, wash your dang hands once in a while, Mr. Pepperoni Pizza Hands.

I decided to simply open the door to hide the massive grease mark on the door. It looked a lot better open anyway, but I would have preferred to have done it on my own time. I need to wash it again anyways as I parked under a shade tree the next day and got 15 bird poo splatters on my car in a 3.5 hour period. I still didn't appreciate Mr. Greasy Hands.

Here are a few pictures that I snapped of the DeLorean as the show was winding down:
Photobucket 

  Photobucket 

  Photobucket 

There was a steady stream of people the entire show and I really enjoyed the reactions of the people that we excited to be able to see a DeLorean in person. There were quite a few Back to the Future references, but luckily not enough to make me hate the show.

I was even interviewed by a no-name car show that is trying to get on the air. That was the first time that I had ever been in front of a television camera, and it was pretty fun. I got to talk about the car's history and tell about some of the things that make it unique and fun to own. They gave me their business card with their web site, so we'll see if I ever show up on there. The web site was www.exoticcarmagazine.com. As of today, it doesn't appear to have been updated in a long time.

Other unique cars at the show included a 1975 Bricklin and a 2005 Ford GT.

The next day was another car show, but we were in the process of house hunting and decided that we would just stop by and look and not stay with our DeLorean. We saw a lot of the same cars there that we had seen the day before, including the Bricklin. I am also a Jeep fan, and there were two awesome Willy's Jeeps from the 1940s at the show. I snapped a couple of pictures:
Photobucket 
 
Photobucket
We noticed that when we were walking back to the DeLorean, it was attracting quite the crowd just parked there. It was kind of fun to drive away with a bunch of people staring at us. I am looking forward to some other shows coming up later this year. I just need to get the A/C working first.

1 comment:

  1. Impressive! So many were involved. Hahaha! The fingerprints are proof that those cars are way too irresistible not to be touched by admirers. I mean, would you just look at that one car. It’s shining, shimmering, silvery coating makes you want to feel its texture over and over.

    Delsie Maidens

    ReplyDelete