Monday, March 14, 2016

Fix stuck DeLorean door

I finally fixed an issue I've been dealing with intermittently since I bought my DeLorean in 2011. The front latch of the driver's side door would sometimes not unlatch when trying to open the door. There really was not rhyme or reason to when it would and would not open. Up until I put it away for winter at the end of 2015, I could always get it open by pressing the lock switch further into the "unlock" position while pulling on the handle. That trick failed before winter and I put it away with a stuck door.

I got the upper and lower panel off with the door shut (total pain, by the way). This is what it looks like with the upper and lower panels removed and the door shut:

It turns out, the locking mechanism needed to be adjusted slightly. This was done by loosening the screw on the rod that goes to the front latch and moving it slightly so the electric door lock could pull it open more when in the unlock position. In other words, when it would unlock, it wasn't able to pull it far enough, thus causing it to stay locked, making it so I couldn't open the door. This picture shows the screws and rod that I needed to adjust:

I tested it dozens of times after adjusting it and it opens every time. I love having the ability to use the keyless remote to unlock the car again and I'm glad it was so simple of a fix. The worst part of the repair was that my previously working mirror switch came apart and I can't get it put together so that it works. I tried for well over an hour, but the mini ball bearings just get pushed out of their position when I try to put the two pieces together. I posted about this problem on www.dmctalk.org and another member offered to ship me one if I paid for the shipping. That should be arriving in around a week. I'm sure I'll have an update in the near future.

I also had to replace several fir trees that broke off when taking the upper and lower panels apart. My door easily opened all the way with no help when the internal panels were removed. It leads me to believe that new door struts with a bit more lifting power will help it open all the way with no help.

More repairs and upgrades to come.

1 comment: