Thursday, February 2, 2012

DeLorean rust repair begins

When I first bought the DeLorean and had my first peak at the underside of the car, I could see that there were places where the epoxy on the frame was peeling off, revealing the bare frame underneath. I knew that I would need to address this quickly. I started by removing the fuel tank closing plate from beneath the car. The bottom of the plate didn't look that bad, but when I saw the other side, this is what I found:
Photobucket
Liquid had pooled in this area sometime in the 30 year life of the car and much of the epoxy was bubbling and flaking off. I could peel a lot of it off just with my fingers. The frame itself looks to be in good condition and hopefully won't require a lot of work to touch up the problem areas.

I whipped out my trusty 6" grinder with a wire wheel and went to town on the plate. It was slow work. I discovered a lot of pitting on the top side of the plate, but the plate didn't rust through in any places. It is definitely salvageable. This is what the plate now looks like, with some close ups of the pitting:
Photobucket

Photobucket 
I have a can of POR-15 that I will be painting on all areas that I am repairing. I will then add a layer of the appropriate paint to match the rest of the frame. Good progress made for the first day.

No comments:

Post a Comment