Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Fixed DeLorean interior dome lights

Ever since I bought my car back in 2011, the interior dome lights never turned on when the doors open. I could get them to turn on manually when flipping them on, shown in this explanation video I did back in 2013:

 
 
I even replaced the original dome lights with some nice new ones back in 2016 because the originals were being held in place with double sided foam tape and looked tacky. I documented that in this post.
 
I had done all of the obvious checks, such as the door plunger wiring, the wiring on the dome lights, but missed one of the most simple things to replace: the diodes. 
 
The diodes for these lights are located on the driver side of the center console, not too far from the gas pedal. Mine were red, blue, and black, shown here:
 

 
I had three new diodes from DMCH that I had sitting on my shelf that I never got around to installing until this week. I am pleased to report that my interior dome lights now work perfectly. They come on when a door is open and turn off when the door closes. I can't believe that it took me 11 years of ownership to finally repair something so simple!



No comments:

Post a Comment